How ARAS can assist
How ARAS advocates can assist older Aboriginal people:
- Provide information about the rights, entitlements and responsibilities when using aged care services, including mainstream services and Aboriginal-specific services.
- Support to help the older person to speak up and resolve their concerns.
- Speak on the older person's behalf (represent them).
- Give strategies to assist the older person to protect themselves if they are at risk of abuse by family or friends.
- Provide information and education sessions about the rights of older people in aged and community services to groups of older people or to staff of these services.
- Assist with policies that ensure the rights of older Aboriginal people are upheld and that improve service responses to their needs.