The Aboriginal Advocacy provides confidential, culturally sensitive services and approaches across all ARAS advocacy program services.
The Aboriginal Advocacy provides information, assistance and represents older Aboriginal people, (family and their representatives) who are:
- 50 years of aged and over for indigenous people
- Receiving community-based aged care services
- Living in a residential aged care facility
- At risk of, or who are experiencing, abuse by family, friends or a person in a trusted relationship
- Assist with policies that ensure the rights of older Aboriginal people are upheld and to ensure improve service responses.
Our staff can provide information and assistance to access, My Aged Care for Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP) or Home Care Package (HCP) services
We can talk with you about:
- Culturally appropriate advocate services and referrals
- Culturally sensitive, practices, care, communication and information
- Getting started – establish your agreement and care plan
- Negotiate fees that you may be asked to pay
- Review your agreement and care plan
- Raise issues of concern or present complaints on your behalf.
In this video, our Aboriginal Advocate Trischia talks about our services in detail. Click below to view the video.
Aboriginal Advocacy provides group education and information sessions:
Elders and older people - Community and Aged Care
- Rights and entitlements of older Aboriginal people and their representatives
- Safeguards for Ageing Well and living a positive life
Workforce - Residential and Community
- Aged care and community services sessions about ARAS and information about the rights and responsibilities
- Information sessions on Elder abuse, compulsory reporting and services responsibilities
Aboriginal Advocacy can support you to be in control of your care services, to speak up about care concerns, and to uphold your rights; to have a voice
- Click here to view the Charter of Aged Care Rights.
- We can talk to you over the phone or we can arrange to meet you to provide information, support, or referral to other appropriate services.